Thursday, April 11, 2013

New Endeavor Spread


So I figured for the start of my blog, I’d do a tarot reading for it, and then at least I’d have something to blog about, as well as some information to help me on my way. Problem was, I couldn’t find a good spread to match the sort of thing I wanted to know. I finally found one that was sort of close to what I had in mind, but then I started rearranging the positions of the cards to make more sense to me, then I started adding cards, and renaming things, and before you know it, I’d created my very own spread for the first time!


 

I call this the New Endeavor Spread. I can’t say how useful it is, yet, as I’ve only used it once, but hopefully some of you will try it and report back. The diagram makes the layout look more like a cross, but the original idea was that it was supposed to be an upward-pointing arrow.

New Endeavor Spread
 Position 1: The Endeavor

Position 2: What do I bring to it?

Position 3: What will assist me?

Position 4: What will hinder me?

Position 5: Near Future Goal

Position 6: Far Future Goal


 
Then came the actual reading, and newbie card reader Miranda was sorely disappointed by what she saw:

My Reading with New Endeavor Spread


 1. The Endeavor – The World (Reversed)

2. What do I bring to it? – The Lovers (Reversed)

3. What will assist me? – King of Pentacles (Reversed)

4. What will hinder me? – King of Wands (Reversed)

5. Near Future Goal – The High Priest

6. Far Future Goal – Seven of Swords


(Forgive my lousy picture taking)


 
My first thought upon seeing all those reversed cards was: “Oh, my deck is upside down.” Then I buckled down and tried to make sense of what I was seeing.  The goal cards were the easiest,  with the High Priest representing my desire to study from established  teachers in the near future, and the Seven of Swords being best interpreted as striking out on your own, making your own path, something I hope to do in the distant future. The King of Wands reversed, as the thing that will hinder me, was fairly familiar, my habit of jumping into a project at full speed, and then not being able to follow through due to burnout and so forth.

But what to make of all those reversed cards in the other positions? Well, I read this Biddy Tarot post,  What does it mean when the majority of Tarot cards are reversed?” for some helpful insights. I decided that it might mean there was some sort of blockage of energy, and did a simple Three Card Spread to try to clarify what was going on. The positions I decided on were Nature of the Problem, Cause, and Solution.

3-Card Clarifying Spread

 
Nature of the Problem: Eight of Pentacles (Reversed)

Cause: The Fool

Solution: Eight of Wands (Reversed)


Not exactly what I wanted to see.  The Eight of Pentacles, reversed, had me focusing on the wrong details, and the Eight of Wands, reversed, told me to wait and think things over. The Fool card seemed appropriate, as I was setting out on a new journey.

I decided not to rest solely on my own reading, so I posted it in a couple of places, to see if there was something I missed. Brigit of Biddy Tarot suggested that the reversed cards in the first reading could indicate a need to look inward, highly likely with a reading about spiritual matters.  One of the posters who looked over my spread at Aeclectic Tarot’s Forum seemed to agree.

So, with that in mind, my reading is something like this:

1. World (reversed) – Looking inward, not focusing on the outside world

2. Lovers (reversed) – Being able to make tough choices about my personal beliefs

3. King of Pentacles (reversed) – Not focusing on material things, or being too worldy

4. King of Wands (reversed) – Need to watch out for scattering of energy, stay focused

5. The High Priest – Goal of studying with established teachers/courses of study 

6. Seven of Wands – Moving out onto my own path

So, there you have it. A problem solved, and a good reading for the start of my blog. Of course, I’d like to hear other interpretations, if you have them! Feedback is always good.

Until next time!

--Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment